Licence to Party!

Chris Brown at AMD Solicitors takes a look at licensing.

Whether we like it or not Christmas is fast approaching, which to a lot of us means an excuse to drink more, eat more but above all… party!

The festive period is also a great opportunity for local bars, restaurants and social venues to boost sales through extended opening hours and by hosting festive events. Unfortunately, however, as many businesses and individuals will have experienced, it can be difficult and time consuming to apply for a premises licence to cover activities such as playing music, selling alcohol, serving late night refreshments and even dancing.

But do not panic partygoers. Luckily any person over the age of 18 can apply for what is called a Temporary Event Notice (“TEN”) which allows you to hold a licensable activity on premises that are not currently licensed, or to hold activities your existing licence does not permit. The TEN can last up to 96 hours and covers a maximum of 499 people.

Examples of events that could be covered by a TEN might be selling alcohol during extended opening hours, for example on Christmas Eve, or having a live band perform at your extravagent New Years Eve Party.

There are some restrictions on TENs. You are only permitted up to 5 TENs a year if you do not hold a personal licence (50 if you are a personal licence holder) and there can only be a maximum of 12 TENs a year for any particular premises, spanning no more than 15 days in total. So as long your event is not a frequently recurring event, a TEN could be the perfect solution to your licencing worries.

So whether you own a bar or restaurant and are considering the possibility of maximising your profit over the festive period or simply looking to host the party of the year, AMD Solicitors can offer you a range of services to help you along the way to ensure that your party goes off with a bang! 

For further advice and assistance contact or telephone 0117 9621205

This article is provided for general information purposes only and represents our understanding of the relevant law and practice as at the date of uploading. This article should not be relied upon as legal advice pertaining to any specific factual situation. Legal decisions should be made only after proper consultation with a legal professional of your choosing.

Telephone icon Request a call back